You have heard about haunted objects and that they might pose dangers to anyone close to them. Now you are starting to look sideways at that old antique you bought at a bargain price – can it be haunted and, even worse, dangerous? Let’s take a closer look if haunted items are dangerous or not.
Generally, no dangers are associated with haunted objects. There is no scientific proof of their existence. However, many swear that haunted objects can, in worst-case scenarios, lead to demonic possession, which is thought to be very dangerous.
There have been records of haunted objects throughout history, but no one has proven their existence. Some objects have attachments by demonic entities or spirits. Some belief spells cast during occult practices can curse an object and cause harm to the owner.
Related article: Breaking the Curse: How to Safely Dispose of a Cursed Object
Are haunted objects dangerous?
So, about haunted objects, no scientific evidence proves they exist. However, many people claim to have had experiences with them or know it to be true.
Some believe that objects can absorb negative energy or even contain the spirits of those who have passed away. There are also beliefs that objects can be a hiding place for more sinister energies and entities.
It is also a common belief amongst paranormal investigators that objects can act as safehouses and hiding places for negative energies. When the time is right, they make themselves known and start to harass the living or other spirits. This is often referred to as dormant hauntings.
Important: Never label anything paranormal before all natural causes are ruled out. Please consult a professional health provider if you are struggling with health or mental issues or think a demon possesses you. Find international suicide prevention helplines here.
Why people believe in haunted objects
First, let’s take a look at why it is that some believe haunted objects to be dangerous. For them to be dangerous, they must exist.
There are records of shamans, clergy, and paranormal investigators claiming they have stumbled upon them in their work. There are set rituals to approach haunted objects, places, people, and animals. This indicates that this has been a concern throughout history. This sets the scene and invites people to believe in them.
Haunted objects are often the focal point of paranormal investigations and are seen in TV shows and movies. Museums also showcase haunted objects, one of the most famous being The Haunted Museum in Las Vegas. Museums and popular culture make people think they are authentic, as they are their customers.
Still, science has not been able to prove their existence. But it is also good to remember that they have proven their non-existence. Maybe we don’t have the right means of devices to capture evidence, or they might not be what we think they are.
Related article: 8 Most Haunted Objects in the World
Four types of haunted objects
To be able to give you the answer to if haunted objects are dangerous or not, we have to dig a little deeper. I tend to divide haunted objects into four main categories to make them easier to understand. Some of the categories are more dangerous than others.
Main types of haunted objects
- Attachments by human or animal spirits
- Attachments by elementals (Earth spirits)
- Attachments by demonic or angelic entities
- Objects that have been cursed by occult spellwork
All haunted objects might pose dangers, but the objects that hold elementals, demonic, angelic, or cursed objects have the most potent powers.
|Type of haunted object||Level of danger||Reason for danger||Prevalence|
|Type 1: Human or animal attachment||Low||Sinister and negative spirits might cause negative hauntings. They don’t lead to possessions, though.||Common|
|Type 2: Elemental attachments||High||Elementals are powerful spirits that have the power of forceful manifestations. They do not lead to possessions, though.||Rare|
|Type 3: Demonic or Angelic attachments||High||Demonic attachments might lead to oppression and, finally, possession. This is a very dangerous state.||Rare|
|Type 4: Cursed objects||Medium||Depending on the skillset of the occult practitioner, the curse can vary.||Common|
I bet when knowing all of this, you want to know how you can spot if an object is haunted or not. If you want to learn more about how to spot a possessed item, I invite you to read more in the article below.
Related article: Beware of the Unseen: How to spot a haunted object
Haunted objects and dangers
When it comes to haunted objects, some things might be dangerous, and it’s important to be aware of them. You can take a look at the table above, to find what kinds of attachments are thought to be more dangerous than others.
It is always good to remember that there is no proof that haunted objects exist. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Negative energy: Haunted objects are often believed to hold negative energy that can affect those who come into contact with them. This can lead to feelings of unease, anxiety, and even physical illness.
- Attachment: Some people believe that spirits can become attached to haunted objects, which can be dangerous if the spirit is malevolent or has bad intentions. This can lead to poltergeist activity, unexplained noises, and other spooky phenomena. In the worst scenarios it can lead to demonic possession.
- Curses: In some cases, haunted objects may be cursed, which can bring bad luck or even physical harm to those who come into contact with them.
- Psychological impact: Even if a haunted object doesn’t contain negative energy or a malevolent spirit, the mere belief that it does can have a psychological impact. This can lead to anxiety, fear, and other negative emotions.
- Psychic attacks: If you have psychic abilities, the entity or spirit might launch psychic attacks. The attacks will leave you exhausted.
- Contamination: In rare cases, haunted objects may be physically dangerous due to the materials they are made of or the way they were created. For example, antique toys may contain lead paint or other hazardous materials.
Whether you believe in haunted objects or not, it’s always important to approach them with respect and caution.
If you ever encounter an object that makes you feel uneasy or uncomfortable, it’s best to trust your instincts and leave it alone or dispose of it safely.
I have an article on how to dispose of Ouija boards that are causing problems, and in most cases, you can get rid of the haunted object the same way.
Further reading: Get rid of a Ouija board the safe way [Ultimate guide]